Do I need to do anything special to prepare my home before I leave for my trip?
YES, below are a few suggestions.
- Leave a piece of clothing that you've recently worn near where your pet sleeps as a reminder of you.
- Display the name and phone number of your vet in a prominent place. Show it to the pet sitter before departing.
- Place out appropriate food and water bowls for your pet's use. Clean them beforehand.
- Put everything needed for your pet's care in a specific area so the sitter doesn't have to search for leashes, food or medications. Let the sitter know where these items are.
- If the sitter will be coming in the evening, hook up a timer light so he/she will not have to come to a dark house. It will be homier for your pet as well.
- Select a neighbor to keep an eye on your place while you're gone.
- Let him/her know that a pet sitter will be coming to your home while you're away.
- Provide him/her with a key in case of an emergency, inclement weather or in the event the pet sitter cannot make a scheduled visit.
- Give the pet sitter the neighbor's name and phone number.